Friday, February 25, 2011

Tuna Family Update

Big Tuna and Little Tuna





As most of you know, Tuna and I moved to Youngstown, OH at the beginning of December this past year. I have been a little vague here on our "life" happenings other than running around with Puppy. 

So here's an update that I hope will make you feel more "caught" up with us.

Tuna likes his job. He's a Park Ranger with the Army Corps of Engineers. We're always looking for something "permanent", but like it here so far. If you're confused, thinking this job was permanent, well...it is kinda. It's a 4 year term position, that is funded for sure for the next year. Even the feds are making budget cuts, so who knows what could happen. 

And now...drum roll please....and maybe a little thrum of cymbals....as of Tuesday...I am officially the newest member of the Millcreek Metropark team! Wahoo! 

What a blessing eh!? That's right. The project that doesn't have any money, managed to hire me :) 

Here's the story: 
In late January, Millcreek had a job fair. I was the only one dressed up, and was either older than everyone by 5 years or younger than everyone by 25. Highschoolers and retirees showed up for all the summer positions. And so did I mind you. They have a historic mill here and I was interested in one of the summer interp positions (tour guide). I spoke to a man in the recreation department who basically told me I was the best thing to walk into their job fair since sliced bread. *polishes finger nails on shoulder*
Anyways, he remembered me. And called me on Thursday of last week and said can you come in tomorrow? I might have something you're interested in. 

And boy was I interested!

I will be the working (yes I took the offer, because they offered it to me before they interviewed anyone else) with the recreation department basically....as an assistant is really the best way to put it. It's part time, but it'll be more hours in the summer and less in the winter and it is permanent. I will primarily be stationed at the farm, but I will spend time at the nature center too, help with programs there AND at the mill. Coordinate volunteers, help set up major events and non-profit org events, and lead outreach programs in the further reaches of the county which tend to get left out. I'm so excited. I'll get to do bird walks, and come up with other new programs, and help plan big parties, and check shelters, and eat cereal! wait. 

Yes. All of the above and more. I'll be working with a large variety of people and projects and it just sounds like the best opportunity to expand my resume EVER! 

Can you tell I'm pretty excited?

Because I am. 

Did I mention I'll get to do bird walks? 

OH YEA!
So that's the job update.
We've found a church we really like here too. We've both joined bible studies and a small group with other young couples and it's been great! 
I am sort of co-directing the children's musical at church that's coming up in May. We just had our first rehearsal this passed week and it went well. I'll be leading the choreography. :) 
I don't have to come up with it, I just have to learn it backwards from the DVDs and then teach it to the kids! It's gonna be fun. The kids seem like really good kids. And some of my favorite memories from children's church are from the plays I was in, so being a part of that for them is really great.

Other than that. Not much else is going on. We have been enjoying our first 8 months of marriage and are looking forward to a busy Spring and fun Summer!

Here's one last picture to leave you with. This was when Tuna Puppy was about 3 months old, now she's over 5 months! She's so big now! But she looks so dang cute in this picture. :)

Love,
Little Tuna

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the job! It sounds like tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete