Saturday, February 19, 2011

Homemade Salsa and Glamour Shots

Homemade Salsa. This my friends...is my vice. 
I worked at Abuelo's in college. And they made their salsa in house. And it was good.  Since then, I've been ruined. For nothing other than some thin, tangy, sweet, spicy, salsa. 

I haven't had salsa anywhere else that was as good. Other than when I make it myself. Oh yea. :)

Pictures. Then recipe. 


If tomatoes are in season. Use fresh. It makes a big difference. And I prefer it. But when their not, it's really cheaper and easier to use canned. Someting with a little kick is nice (like the one in the middle with "zesty jalapenos") but you can always just get regular and add some kick yourself. I used these because it's what I had.


Small onion. Couple garlic cloves (plus powder if your a garlic FREAK like me!)


Chop.


Get out your blender (or a large food processor would work too!) and place tomatoes in. I drained about half the liquid from each because ALL the liquid makes it a little too runny. I would error on the thick side, and if your worried about it, save some juice for the end, you can always add juice but can't really take it away once you've processed it.


Add the garlic and onion.


Oooh lala my favorite part.


Chop a few table spoons full of jalapenos more or less to taste. Include the seeds. Your macho.


Some red pepper flakes for good measure. And texture. ;)


Wait. I lied. THIS is my favorite part. FRESH cilantro. I promise. Dried won't cut it. Fresh baby fresh.



Add in jalapenos and cilantro and give a few pulses!





Don't forget the lime juice! Oh yes. Fresh would be better. But I already had some on hand. 

Now the trick is taste and see! Try and try again with little additions. Each time I make this I'm always using a bit more of this or that depending on the base I use.
I ended up adding a bit of cumin, chili powder, more cilantro, and jalapenos.



And voila! 
Oh man. I made this about two weeks ago. My mouth is watering. And I just had lunch. 
Please. Make homemade salsa. You won't regret it. 

Restaurant Style Salsa 
Adapted from Pioneer Woman

Ingredients

  • 1 can (28 Ounce) Whole Tomatoes With Juice
  • 2 cans (10 Ounce) Diced Tomatoes (with some kick if possible: jalapenos, green chilies, etc)
  • 1 small Onion Chopped
  • 2-3 cloves Garlic, Minced (or to taste)
  • 3-4 table spoons Minced Jalapeno (or to taste) fresh or jarred
  • ¼ teaspoons Sugar
  • ¼ teaspoons Salt
  • ¼ teaspoons Ground Cumin
  • ½ cups Cilantro (more To Taste!)
  • 2 table spoons Lime Juice 
My other additions: Red pepper flakes, chili powder, EXTRA cilantro :) 

Preparation Instructions

Combine whole tomatoes, dice tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, garlic, sugar, salt, cumin, lime juice, and cilantro in a blender or food processor. Pulse until you get the salsa to the consistency you’d like—I do about 10 to 15 pulses. Test seasonings with a tortilla chip and adjust as needed.
Refrigerate salsa for at least an hour. Serve with tortilla chips or cheese nachos.




And now. For some close ups of my sleepy puppy.


What is that clicking sound?


Mom. What are you doing? I'm trying to sleep.


Are you kidding me with this?


Fine. If I wake up enough to give you a cutesy pose will you stop?


I'm done with you.


But if you give me treats I might cooperate.

 

I will give you the puppy stare until you stop clicking the camera and give me another treat. 


And that's all for today. Have a great weekend!  

Go make salsa. 

Love,
Little Tuna

No comments:

Post a Comment