Monday, February 14, 2011

Chocolate Eclair Cake

Valentines Day was pretty simple around the Tuna Can. (We celebrated yesterday) I'm not much for the holiday and definitely not into flowers (have we discussed that already?) so for V-day, Tuna and I decided to cook. 
He made dinner, I made dessert. 

A simple, easy, decadent, addicting, sinful, delicious dessert. 
Oh yea. 

Seriously. You're going to look at these directions and say there is no way that dessert is that good. And maybe you're right. BUT to me? This is the best dessert I've tasted that required this little amount of work and prep. It doesn't even need to bake. 

Take that gas man. (have I mentioned we have a gas stove here? I don't really care for it yet)


I sort of took the recipe and made somewhere around a 1/3 of it. Why? Well...remember a couple posts back when I mentioned I am NOT a "details" kinda gal? yea....well details really come into play when you're cooking. The recipe called for two boxes of THREE oz jello boxes. I thought, okay no problem I've got two on the shelf! I go to make the dessert and realize ohhhh...I have two ONE oz boxes. 
Details. 

I loathe them. 

 But! Not all is lost. I just made an 8x8 pan instead of a 9x13
Which my love handles will appreciate.


Start. With pudding. I obviously used the low cal stuff.


Add the milk and whipped topping and play some michael jackson. (beat it? Get it? meh meh meh)


Layer the graham crackers in the pan, and place half the pudding mixture on top 
It will be thick and sticky, that's okay. It doesn't have be pretty. Just tasty.


Repeat layers, ending with graham crackers.


My favorite part. The chocolate sauce topping.


Once the chocolate sauce has cooled a little bit, pour over your layers and spread evenly.


Side view just to get your mouth a little moist.

 

Let it set for as long as you can. I believe this dessert does better letting it sit overnight. The graham crackers really soak up the pudding and it's magnificent. But other than that, give it at least a couple hours to set. De-lish. 
 And not nearly as calorie dense as the name makes you think it would be! 

Here's the recipe found at All Recipes:

Ingredients

  • 2 (3 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 3 cups milk
  • 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
  • 1 (16 ounce) package chocolate graham crackers
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, combine pudding mix and 3 cups milk; mix well. Fold in whipped topping and beat with mixer for 2 minutes.
  2. In a buttered 9x13 inch baking dish, spread a layer of graham crackers on the bottom of the dish.
  3. Spread 1/2 of the pudding mixture over crackers, then top with graham crackers. Spread remaining pudding over crackers; top second pudding layer with another layer of crackers.
  4. To make topping: In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine 1/4 cup milk, cocoa and sugar and allow to boil for 1 minute; remove from heat and add butter and vanilla. Mix well and cool.
  5. Pour sauce over graham cracker layer and refrigerate until set; serve.


Now here's a little glimpse of what my tuna love made for dinner.


Have I mentioned asparagus is my favorite veggie? Oh yea.


These were so good. Cheesy melty garlic mashed potatoes. mmmm.


Oven fried chicken. :)


My big tuna chef.


I hope this picture makes you giggle. I made him pose cheesy for me.


YUM. Valentine's Day dinner! AND he cleaned up everything for me. What a man.


And what would a post be without at least one snap of tuna puppy. She was just happy to get valentines day kibble.

I have job stuff to update you on. But LOTS is going on all at once in that department so I'll let you live in suspense a little longer. 

We took Macey on a group hike with other people and their dogs. It was so fun. I'll post pictures up this week.

Oh and remember that Valentines Day wreath I mentioned last week? Yea it's still in it's basket a quarter of the way finished. MY BAD! 

Love,
LT

No comments:

Post a Comment