Saturday, May 7, 2011

Easy Peasy Chicken Cheesy Enchiladas

I love me some enchiladas. 

Did you know that I worked in a mexican restaurant my first two years of college? 

I try to block it our mainly because I was in a mexican food coma for 2 years straight. (Abuelos! I miss you!)

These enchiladas are easy, cheesy, and delicious. (and they freeze well!)
My bestie/maid-of-honor/college roomie Megan Williams inspired this recipe. She made enchiladas one night, and I thought...hey I can do that! So I've played around with it over the past year or so and have come up with these:

 

Start with some spicy spices. 


Rub your chicken with those spicy spices. I used boneless chicken breast. You can use legs, halves, quarters, whatever you got on hand. Just keep in mind you'll be shredding the meat!


Is this not a rather emotional (or emo, if you will) picture of my garlic and onion? Maybe it's because of the sad state of that onion. 



Alright, after that chicken has roasted, shred it with two forks, a knife and a fork, a spork even! Just shred that baby.


Deliciously spicy spiced roasted chicken.


Tortilla shells. YUM.


Sour cream. Go ahead. Go for the fat free! It's good for you! And especially wonderful in spicy recipes.


Don't forget that chipotle tabasco sauce!


Mix the sour cream and tabasco in with the spicy spiced chicken, this is your enchilada filling!


Oh yea man.


Spoon it into one side of the tortilla


And roll it up!


Line the stuffed tortillas up in a 9x13 pan, make sure to place them "flap" down


Pour that enchilada sauce on! I normally use store bought, simply because this is "easy peasy" cheesy enchiladas. Not make your own enchilada sauce from scratch enchiladas.


Add that cheese! Any kind will work. Whatever you got on hand. Cheddar, cheddar jack, cheddar jalapeno, pepper jack, something with a little "kick" is nice. But I'm pretty sure this picture is just plain ole cheddar!


I love me some easy sour cream and chicken stuffed cheesy enchiladas. 
Yes. Please. 

Okay. So typically since I sorta just throw everything together and don't really follow a recipe for this...I'm going to TRY and create an actual recipe. Though use your experience and change it as you may. :) 

Ingredients:
about 2#'s of chicken (will be shredded so more like 3#'s if it has bones)
Generous Dash of Chili Powder
Dash of red pepper flakes
Dash of Cumin
(these three are for seasoning the chicken before roasting)
1 small onion finely chopped
1 to 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped (to taste..more the merrier for me!)
1 16 oz tub of sour cream (I always use fat free)
Tabasco sauce (optional, but adds a nice kick!)
1 package or 10 Tortilla shells  (we're a whole wheat kinda family)
2 small cans or 1 large can of enchilada sauce (I'm pulling a fail on how many ounces because I don't have any on hand to reference right now! But I know I either use one big or two small :)
One 8 oz bag of shredded cheese (type on hand, or something with a little spice is nice) 


Steps:
Place chicken in an oven safe dish and season with chili powder, red pepper flakes, and cumin on both sides. Roast at 375 till no longer pink and juice runs clear (usually about 35 minutes)
NOTE: you may also choose to boil the chicken, grill the chicken, microwave the chicken (ew), however you like to prepare shredded chicken. I prefer to roast, I find it keeps the most flavor! 

Shred chicken, careful to remove any bones, and place in a bowl
Chop onion and garlic and mix into shredded chicken
Add sour cream to shredded chicken (I usually use close to the whole 16 oz tub, but you may use more or less to taste)
Add a tablespoon or two of tabsco sauce (or to taste)

At this point you may want to add some extras, such as another dash of chili powder or cumin, cheese, jalapenos, etc. Make it your own! Or follow mine and keep it simple. :)

Spoon chicken and sour cream mixture into each of the 10 tortilla shells. 

Line shells into a 9x13 greased pan, laying on down on open end of shell
Pour the enchilada sauce over the shells and give the pan a nice shake to get the sauce down to the bottom and evenly spread

Top with package of cheese of your choice 
Bake at 350 covered for 20 and then uncovered for 10 minutes or until cheese and sauce is nice and bubbly

NOTE: these freeze GREAT! So if you're cooking a frozen batch, thaw it on the counter the night before or that morning. Cooking time might be an extra 20 minutes or so, just watch until it's beautifully bubbly

Serve and satisfy that watering mouth! 

Love,
Little Tuna




No comments:

Post a Comment