Saturday, April 16, 2011

Easter Egg Wreath

So first. 
Sorry it's been like three weeks since I've posted. 
Greg and I have internet. It's legit. But it's free. 
It's hard to explain. It's a little box from Sprint, that my Dad set up.
It works off a 3G network. So basically...we have internet that runs only about as fast as your average cell phone. So as you can imagine, trying to upload 20 pictures to a blog post sometimes takes a LONG time. If it even works. So that's my excuse. 

But the other day for some reason it was running REALLY fast! So I took advantage and loaded pictures for like 5 posts all in one day. It was a good day. 

The other day at the nature center feeders I saw a red breasted nut hatch, male and female purple finches, and saw my first tohees of the season. That too, was a good day. 



Remember a few posts ago I showed you this slightly amazing wreath I got for 2 dollars at a thrift shop?


It's not very vibrant in the picture. But it's a nice green color. It was the wreath I placed on my front door during St.P's season.


In case you can't tell, this wreath is already a DIY project wreath. Someone bought this round wreath probably at someplace like hobby lobby (where these go on sale 50% on a fairly regular basis) and then they sprayed it with some craft spray glue and shook all these green plastic flakes onto it. 

Was that explanation detailed enough for you? 

Good. Glad were on the same page about the "details". 



One thing I knew about this wreath when I first bought it was that it had some versatility! If I can buy one wreath, and use it for several different holidays just by tweaking it a bit, I'm a happy camper. So that's what I'm going to show you here. I obviously first took some thin wire that I found in Tuna's tool box.


This. Is a cut piece of wire. 


This. Is a cut piece of wire folded in half.


This. Is a cut piece of wire, folded in half, twisted, and a small piece bent to a 90 degree angle. 
(look at that bokeh. oh yea!) (if you don't know what bokeh is....look it up)(how many parenthesis can I fit?)
(however, I have to downsize these pictures so much, the quality really stinks, the originals are much better)


A plastic egg. Bought at hobby lobby because I had a gift card from my generous mama. If you're looking for bang for your buck on plastic eggs, my bet would be a dollar store. Or even better. A dollar store a few days AFTER Easter and store them for next year. Everyone does that like me right?


Now I took that piece of wire, and glued the bent piece onto the egg.




 

Then I took the egg, with the wire on it and stuck it onto my wreath by twisting the two ends of the wire together from the back of the wreath. Get it? 



Now my wreath went from being a plain green wreath, to a green wreath with random Easter eggs on it. 
Why did I twist them on with wire when it would have been just as easy to glue them straight onto the wreath? 
Versatility. 
I now have the option, if I want to, to take the eggs off and add something else or just use it as a plain wreath again. Will I bother to do that? I don't know. But the point it, it's worth the little extra effort so that I have the option in the future to change it.


Tada! It looks pretty cute from the road if I do say so myself.


This is my one and only longaberger basket given to me from my mama when I first went to college (she would be ashamed if she knew I had to google how to spell longaberger, she's a tad obsessed with them). It's kind of got a pink tint to it. Cute for extra Easter eggs left over. I bough the tri-colored tacky moss at hobby lobby too with the gift card. At least now I've got something in the middle of coffee table that's Easter-y! :)

I hope you all are enjoying the first teases of Spring! I am enjoying the weather, and the upcoming song bird migration has me antsy with anticipation! ;)

Love,
Nerdy Birdy Little Tuna

1 comment: