Sunday, January 23, 2011

Italian Turkey Meat Balls

Earlier in the month, save-a-lot had frozen ground turkey for 1.00 per lb. Needless to say I stocked up! I bought six lbs which I figured would be gone most likely by the end of the month, maybe into Feb a bit.

(Tuna and I are normally big into ground venison (deer meat) but this year with all the crazy work schedules and moving across the state of Ohio, he didn't have much hunting time. So no deer this year. And we only have like 3 packs of venison left! So stocking up on cheap ground meat is a priority for me these days!)

I've used 3 lbs so far and have been really pleased with the taste and quality of the meat. Turkey is very juicy/moist without the extra fat of beef.

This post I will share the easy and delicious turkey meat balls!
I've also made teriyaki burgers and ranch burgers with the meat and both of those were a hit too.
(Maybe sharing those later :)

I got the recipe from all-recipes. This will be a theme. I use all-recipes for about 70% of my new recipe cooking. It's extremely user friendly and I highly suggest it. You can see ratings and read reviews about each recipe that help make each one the best they can be. Plus they have great features like a "recipe box" to save your faves, and an "ingredient" search so that you search for recipes that include things you have in your kitchen and exclude things you don't! It's great.

Onto the recipe.
This can be used with any ground meat you have on hand, beef/chicken/turkey, whatever!

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 (20 ounce) package ground turkey
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/3 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
  • My Additions: Fresh Garlic/Onion to taste, or garlic/onion powder to taste
  • Basil/Cilantro/Oregano to taste
Let's just be honest! The basic recipe is just that...basic! So make it your own. I added some garlic/onion powder because it's what was fastest and a few extra Italian seasonings. Get creative! Add whatever you think would be a tasty addition!

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish with the olive oil, and place it in the oven while preheating.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix together the ground turkey, egg, and bread crumbs using your hands. Using an ice cream scoop if possible, form the meat into golf ball sized meatballs. Place about 1 inch apart in the hot baking dish. Press down to flatten the bottom just slightly.
  3. Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, then turn them over, and continue baking for about 5 more minutes, or until somewhat crispy on the outside. Serve with pasta and sauce or however you'd like.
Gather em up!
     Talent....to pour and take a picture ;)
    Amazing Amish egg. Each with date stamp :)
    Ice cream scoop em up
    
    Before
    After...mmm
    Remember. These are home made meatballs. They don't look restaurant perfect...but they are also not pre-packaged microwaved meat blobs! Their imperfections make them that much better :)
 Slap em on some pasta, or a sub, or whatever tickles your fancy!
    Fast, easy, delicious dinner. Yummo! (we're BIG spaghetti people, so it was a nice change to the normal)
    Macey from her post while I make dinner. She's dying to go play!
Macey had her first puppy class yesterday. She did great. She's the youngest in the class, which means she has learned the least amount of bad habits already. She is so focused, it's humorous. Like a true beagle, when there is food involved she can't keep her eyes away from the commander! She had a blast.

We've had a great lazy Sunday. Went to church this morning, and came home from some left over chicken corn chowder. Took Macey for a walk but other than that just listening to the games on the radio and playing some online settlers! ;-)

Also, BT and I have finally finished watching the Indiana Jones series. Harrison Ford has a such a special place in my heart! Honestly....I hope they make one more before he kicks off. ;)


Hope you all had an enjoyable weekend as well.

LT

3 comments:

  1. I personally don't want Harrison Ford to do another one. He betrayed me in the last one by having Shia Laboueff as a co-star.
    As much as I love Harrison, I think his time's up for Indiana Jonesing about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! You crack me up. I have to disagree with you though :) I personally loved Shia in that movie. The worst part of it was the weirdo alien spaceship ending. But the acting was superb. But I'm also easily entertained. ;)

    Did you know that since Greg and I moved, we're a lot closer to you all now? I have to get my butt in gear about getting a new passport with my married name because we'd love to come see you again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get on it! We'd love to see you too! But don't bother coming until winter is over, because it's pretty blah up here.

    Harrison was still great in the latest Jones movie. But there's something about Shia that makes me dislike him. I'm not sure what.

    ReplyDelete